Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Chill Wind Blows


I love this time of year. Sure, the garden looks like it's on it's last leg (the Pooka came early this year), and I nearly got mugged by a squirrel this morning, but the mist is rolling through the mountains. Full Moon is tonight. Saimhain is just around the corner.
One of my favorite Samhain traditions is the Dumb Supper, especially as a prelude to ritual. I lay a small table with food and (strong) drink familiar to my ancestors. It's usually colcannon, pork, and beer or wine, as well as bits of the harvest. Anyway, in years past, I set it up outside the front door, take the seat beside it, with a bag of candy for the trick or treater' s. Most people assume that it's my dinner, and (it is a "Dumb Supper") that I wasn't speaking to be "creepy" or some such. Great way to avoid being interrupted later in the night.
Legend goes that if you wish to know who you will marry, lay a Dumb Supper on Samhain and watch the mirror at midnight.

-Carmin

No comments: